The Coming Retail Returns Tsunami
Going into 2020, the retail world was already dealing with tremendous growth in merchandise returns, with fraud and overall costs to the retailer increasing at an exponential rate due to online sales being returned to stores. In 2015 the total value of merchandise returns was estimated at $643 billion globally. By the end of 2019 this figure had increased to over $1 trillion worldwide because of this growth. Every return is a loss of margin to retailers. Even if the item can be resold, the increased
labor of handling the item to resell at full price causes margin loss. When items must be discounted, this further exacerbates the problem. That was the situation at the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020, and then COVID-19 happened. Add file to cart and download for free.
This Research Was Made Available Free to You Thanks to Our Sponsors
This product is free. We would ask that you adhere to our license agreement with regards to quoting sections of the research. Our full license agreement may be found below.
IHL Group License and Fair Use Agreement
All of IHL Group’s generally available research are electronic licenses and can be shared freely within the purchasing organization and wholly owned subsidiaries. We only ask that this information not be shared with partners or others outside the purchasing company without authorization from IHL Group. The license does not extend to joint ventures or other partnerships. If the relationship is not a wholly-owned subsidiary, then both parties would need a license.
Practically, this implies the following:
- The purchasing company can use the data and research worldwide internally as long as the international organizations are wholly owned subsidiaries of the purchasing company.
- The data or any research cannot be distributed in whole or in part to partners or customers without express written approval from IHL Group.
- The purchasing company may quote components of the data (limited use) in presentations to customers such as specific charts. This is limited to percentage components, not individual unit information. Unit data cannot be shared externally without express written approval from IHL Group. All references to the data in presentations should include credit to IHL Group for the data.
- The purchasing company can reference qualitative quotes in printed material with written approval from IHL Group.
- All requests requiring written approval should be submitted to ihl(at)ihlservices.com and will be reviewed within one business day.
For any questions regarding this policy, please contact us at 1-888-IHL-6777 (North America) +1.615.591.2955 (International) or email us at ihl(at)ihlservices.com.