This is a free research report thanks to our sponsors. Please just add to cart and download to see content.
2019 Store Openings/Closings Detailed List
This is a list of 1,660 retailers with 50 or more stores and their store counts, net openings and closings in the retail and restaurant industries. This is a companion piece to our free research paper called Retail’s Renaissance – True Story of Store Openings/Closings. Where the research paper is designed to share the overall view of the market and segments that are increasing and decreasing, this series of spreadsheets show which retailers (public and private) that are growing and shrinking.
This product is ideal for retailers, property owners, REITs, IT companies and others that are looking to identify which retailers are healthy and growing and those that might be struggling or shrinking their footprint and historical data that matches those statements.
Data is provided for 2017, 2018, 2019 and an estimate of 2020 based on current company statements and is put together from 10ks, company releases and announcements based on thousands of hours of research.
After reviewing this list, should you wish to know “who you should contact” at each of the companies, we would refer to you to our Sophia system.
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Note: In a limited number of cases, the parent does not reveal the number of openings and closings by their subsidiaries but only at the parent level. In this case, we list the changes in the parent level but not at the subsidiary level, but we list the subsidiaries for reference purposes. This affects less than 10% of the total number.
Here is a sample of the output. The dark blue is the line for a parent company. The lighter blue are the subsidiaries.
Does this list match that of those retailers in the Retail Renaissance Report?
Yes, for this product we provide the list of enterprises by the numbers and then the banners under that retailer.
What is the difference between a Parent and Stores
An parent company in our definition is the highest level company(1,088 companies with over 50 stores). The banner is the full list of retail chains under that banner (1,660 chains). For instance, The Kroger Company is both a Parent and a Subsidiary in our sheet since they have Kroger Stores but also other subsidiaries. So under The Kroger Company is Kroger Stores, Ralph’s, Quality Food Centers, Harris Teeter, etc. We give you the full list of banners, but we roll-up the data to the Enterprise level.
This product is $1,995 for an Enterprise license that can be used internally to your organization. We would ask that you adhere to our license agreement with regards to quoting sections of the research. Our full license agreement may be found below.
IHL Group License and Fair Use Agreement
All of IHL Group’s generally available research are electronic licenses and can be shared freely within the purchasing organization and wholly owned subsidiaries. We only ask that this information not be shared with partners or others outside the purchasing company without authorization from IHL Group. The license does not extend to joint ventures or other partnerships. If the relationship is not a wholly-owned subsidiary, then both parties would need a license.
Practically, this implies the following:
- The purchasing company can use the data and research worldwide internally as long as the international organizations are wholly owned subsidiaries of the purchasing company.
- The data or any research cannot be distributed in whole or in part to partners or customers without express written approval from IHL Group.
- The purchasing company may quote components of the data (limited use) in presentations to customers such as specific charts. This is limited to percentage components, not individual unit information. Unit data cannot be shared externally without express written approval from IHL Group. All references to the data in presentations should include credit to IHL Group for the data.
- The purchasing company can reference qualitative quotes in printed material with written approval from IHL Group.
- All requests requiring written approval should be submitted to ihl(at)ihlservices.com and will be reviewed within one business day.
For any questions regarding this policy, please contact us at 1-888-IHL-6777 (North America) +1.615.591.2955 (International) or email us at ihl(at)ihlservices.com.