According to UNICEF, there are currently over 143 million orphans worldwide. To put that into context, if Orphans were a country they would be larger than Russia in population, equivalent to almost half of the population of the United States. The numbers are staggering:
- Every 5.2 seconds around the world, a child dies. That’s 16,615 children today alone, over 6 million this year!!!
- Every 2.2 seconds a child ages out of the orphanage or foster care system. In some countries up to 80% become homeless, and many resorting to prostitution for survival. Even in some portions of America, over 60% of the kids who age out of the system become homeless.
At IHL we believe that widows and orphan care is a calling for everyone.
Please get involved in some way to help kids
Organizations that IHL is currently involved with are the following:
The Retail Orphan Initiative (RetailROI)
is a group of retailers, vendors and analysts that organized to provide funding to raise awareness and provide real solutions for the more than 400 million vulnerable children worldwide. The focus of the charitable foundation is to provide grants to charities that provide "feet on the street" efforts in the following areas:
- Orphan Care (food, shelter, medical, clothing, education)
- Foster Care support organizations
- Adoption support organizations
- Grants and zero interes loans for adoption
- Child Rescue from human trafficking
- Life skills training for orphaned and vulnerable children
restores the lives of orphans in partnership with churches, corporations, organizations and individuals who have a passion to help needy, parentless children. They build and staff orphan homes around the world in countries where international adoption is not available.
Lifesong for Orphans
provides grants and zero interest loans for adoption. They also work with churches tomanage adoption funds, reducing the administrative burden at no cost. They also support specific orphanages and act as advocates for adoption.